Conserve Waste water heat recovery device attached to showers
Another quick and relatively simple way of saving money on your heating bills is to fit a waste water heat recovery device to your shower.
Every time you have a shower you let all your lovely hot water go straight down the drain even though you have used quite a lot of energy to produce it.
A waste water heat recovery device works by the waste shower water going in to a pipe which has a heat exchanger inside it. Your used hot shower water is used to warm the mains cold water by around 15 degrees that is coming up to your shower and this means that the shower does not have to use as much energy to reach its normal require temperature.
Waste water heat recovery device attached to showers Advantages
- You will not need to heat your shower water as much as normal thus saving money on your bills.
- Easy to install compared to other water heating devices such as solar.
- Virtually maintenance free.
- Unseen and undetectable once installed.
- Efficiencies of up to 68% can be achieved.
- Do not use any other power source.
Waste water heat recovery device attached to showers Disadvantages
- The incoming water temperature will still be very low so extra heating will be required.
- You will need to take up your existing shower tray and install a new system so some disruption will be necessary.
You can get grants for Waste water heat recovery device attached to showers, below are the schemes this is available with.
* According to data sourced from the Energy Saving Trust website.